A Communique issued at the end of the Executive Board meeting of the Nigeria Basketball Federation held at the Parkview Hotel, Abuja from October 28 – 29, 2016.
1. The meeting was well attended and was preceded by remarks from the President, Nigeria Olympic Committee and member of the International Olympic Committee, Engineer Habu A.Gumel. A goodwill message was also presented by a former Sports Minister and immediate past President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee and currently member of the Commonwealth Games Federation Sports Committee, Engineer Sani M. Ndanusa.
2. The meeting reviewed the federation’s activities for the year 2016 as well as previewed the activities for the remaining part of the year including among others,the Dstv League,Zenith Bank Women’s League, Women Olympic Qualifying Tournament,World Women U17 World Championship, Rio Olympic Games as well as the National Divisions 1 and 2 Championships. The need for additional attention to Grassroot Programmes was specifically underscored.
3. The meeting extensively discussed issues of interest to players in our leagues and national teams as well as capacity development for technical officials of the game with special reference to Women Referees. The meeting considered letters of apology submitted to the federation by former players and referees who participated in the unauthorized African Basketball League, ABL. after which the suspension on the player Victor Koko Anthony and referee Segun Adekanmbi was lifted. Other similar cases were under consideration and would be disposed of at the next Board meeting of the federation later this year.
4. The meeting also considered the new draft constitution of the federation and after appropriate amendments approved it to be forwarded to FIBA and NOC for further consideration and input after which the draft would be placed before the federation’s General Assembly (AGM) early next year for adoption.
5. The meeting noted the new ranking of the country in basketball at the continental and world levels (1st & 16th), respectively and thanked players, coaches, staff, sponsors, sports authorities, the media and all stakeholders for their tireless effort and contribution in the last two Olympic cycles.
6. The Board resolved to fill the slots in the Atlantic Conference of the Dstv League through the National Division 1 championship and other creative windows to be proposed by the Technical Committee of the federation at the next board meeting before the end of the year.